ALSC is seeking representatives to serve the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) and the United States Board on Books for Young People (USBBY). One representative for USBBY and two for IFLA are needed. Interested? Read on:
IFLA | International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
Number of representatives: 2
How to apply: Complete the online application and submit a resume or curriculum vitae and one letter of recommendation
Deadline: August 31, 2016
ALA representatives on IFLA section standing committees are required to:
- report to their constituencies on appropriate developments and information originating from their respective committees; these communications may be published in ALA journals or newsletters, or as special reports to ALA members;
- transmit a copy of the report(s) to the International Relations Committee.
The applicant must:
- Be an expert in the field covered by the section
- Reasonable expectation of attending meetings of the standing committee (which may occur at IFLA conferences) during his/her term of appointment. Expenses to attend IFLA meetings/conferences are the responsibility of the individual or his/her institution. Future conference locations are on the IFLA website.
- Serve as a liaison between the IFLA Section and ALSC Board of Directors.
USBBY | United States Board on Books for Young People
Term: January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2018
Number of representatives: 1
How to apply: Complete the online application and submit a cover letter addressed to the ALA Executive Board, a resume/CV, and one letter of recommendation
Deadline: September 6, 2016
- Attend and participate in the three annual board meetings.
- Submit USBBY news to newsletters, journals, web sites, and electronic discussion lists of related organizations.
- Recruit new members, nurture current members, and make the Board and Nominating Committee aware of potentially active committee members or volunteers.
- Serve as the official liaison between ALSC and USBBY.
- Assist with planning USBBY board meetings at conferences.
- Assist with planning USBBY co-sponsored programs at conferences.
The applicant must:
- Have demonstrated experience in evaluating, selecting and promoting children’s literature
- Attend all USBBY meetings and conferences during his/her term of appointment. Expenses to attend USBBY meetings/conferences are the responsibility of the individual or his/her institution. USBBY, ALA and ALSC do not provide financial support
- Have knowledge of key ALSC services and resources in order to serve as an effective liaison between USBBY and ALSC’s Board of Directors
- Be a competent user of new technologies, such as wikis and electronic chat platforms, in order to accomplish work in a virtual environment between meetings
- Have demonstrated leadership skills necessary to serve on an organization’s board of directors
Questions? Contact Aimee Strittmatter. Good luck!