ALSC Blog Policy (adapted in August 2007 from YALSA blog policy)
The mission of the ALSC Blog is to provide a venue for coverage of time sensitive news in children’s librarianship, current issues in the field, and programs, conferences, initiatives, resources, and activities of interest to ALSC members and those interested in children’s librarianship.
Goals and Plans
A volunteer community of bloggers, led by the Blog Manager, will be recruited from the ALSC membership to report on ALSC and ALA programs, and news of interest to children’s librarians.
Photo and Guest Post Guidelines
Policies and Procedures
1. Blog Manager(s): A Blog Manager will be responsible for overall blog administration, content, and tone. The manager(s) must be ALSC member(s). The manager(s) is/are paid an annual stipend for his/her services.
2. Bloggers: Regular bloggers must be members or staff of ALSC. In addition to regular bloggers, the blog may have occasional guest bloggers for specific conferences, events, or topics. Bloggers are recruited by the Blog Manager based on a person’s: 1) expertise in the topic to be blogged, 2) writing ability, and 3) technical abilities.
3. Blog Content: The Blog Manager with direction from the ALSC Executive Committee will determine specific topics appropriate for blogging. Committee chairs and ALSC members may also submit topic ideas to the Blog Manager for consideration.
4. Acceptable Use: The blog is an ALSC-sponsored tool for use within ALSC and for outreach beyond ALSC. Lively opinion and commentary are welcome in blog posts. Bloggers must check facts, cite sources, present balanced views, acknowledge and correct errors, and check spelling and grammar before making a post live. Links to related posts are encouraged, but bloggers should post original content rather than merely reposting entire items from other blogs, lists, newsletters, etc.
5. Comments: Comments are open to all but may be moderated by the Blog Manager. Commentary, opinion, and reaction to posts are welcome. Comments should be relevant to the specific post to which they refer. ALSC reserves the right to remove, or not to post, comments unrelated to the mission of the blog. Spam, flaming, personal attacks, and off-topic comments are not permitted.
PLEASE NOTE: Once a comment is submitted, it may appear to be “published” for up to 1 minute while WordPress runs a number of tests on the comment. It is then automatically placed in a queue for moderation. Every attempt is made to moderate and publish comments within 24 – 48 hours.
6. Pages: Frequently requested information, informational pages, etc. will be placed on blog pages as static information, rather than occasional blog posts.
7. Links: Links to ALA, ALSC and other ALA-affiliated Web sites and blogs will be provided. Other links to notable Web sites or blogs may be added if the consensus is that they would be useful to readers.
8. 501(c)(3): The American Library Association (ALA) and the Association for Library Service to Children
are a 501(c)(3) organization and as such are completely prohibited from engaging, directly or
indirectly, in any political campaign for or against a candidate for local, state or federal office. The penalty
for violation of these prohibitions is revocation of tax-exempt status.
9. Copyright: Content on this blog is governed by a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.