The ALSC Blog welcomes guest posts. These guest posts can offer enlightening information on issues related to children’s librarianship and add to the overall character of the blog. Before submitting a guest post, bloggers need to be aware of the guidelines below:
- Guest bloggers need not be ALSC members, but the post should be of interest to children’s librarians and related to children’s librarianship
- Great care should be taken so that guest posts are not interpreted as advertisements for any products, services or websites
- Guest bloggers should be aware of the ALSC Blog Policy
- The American Library Association (ALA) and the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) are a 501(c)(3) organization and as such are completely prohibited from engaging, directly or indirectly, in any political campaign for or against a candidate for local, state or federal office. The penalty for violation of these prohibitions is revocation of tax-exempt status.
- It is the responsibility of the guest blogger to ensure proper grammar, spelling, etc. Posts are normally between 300 and 700 words
- Guest posts are encouraged to include images (please consult the ALSC Blog Photo Guidelines), links to relevant information produced and published elsewhere, and topical questions related to children’s librarianship meant to provoke discussion in their posts
- Guest bloggers should be aware that their posts do not represent the official position of ALSC
- The blog manager and/or the staff liaison have the right to not post or remove any post by a guest blogger which compromises the integrity of ALA/ALSC (please note the ALA Bill of Rights and the ALA Code of Ethics) or sacrifices the objectivity of the division in regards to its book and media awards
- Normally, guest bloggers should plan to submit their posts at least a week in advance of their posting date in order to be reviewed by the blog manager and/or staff liaison
- Guest bloggers are encouraged to supply contact information (1 or 2 sentences) in a brief biographical piece at the end of their post; all bios must include the following sentence: “Please note that as a guest post, the views expressed here do not represent the official position of ALA or ALSC.”
- No individual is guaranteed a blog post; individuals seeking to guest post will be evaluated and accepted by the blog manager and/or the staff liaison based on the relevancy and value offered to members
Guidelines for authors/illustrators:
- Authors and illustrators writing guest posts for the ALSC Blog are encouraged to give a view of their lives as artists such as their creative processes, inspirations and unique insights rather than book jacket style texts or reviews of their own work.
- Authors and illustrators must submit their posts at least a week in advance of their posting date in order to be reviewed by the blog manager and staff liaison
- Samples of posts written by guest bloggers may be found here
- How to Craft an Amazing ALSC Blog Post by Dan Bostrom from Sunday, October 2, 2016
How to submit a guest post:
If you’d like to write a guest post for the ALSC Blog, please contact Mary Voors, ALSC Blog Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.