Less than two weeks away from the 2016 ALSC Virtual Institute, ALSC wants to give you a taste of the exciting professional development opportunity. We’ve already given you the top 10 reasons to attend, so how about a closer look at some of the amazing programming that is happening next week.
It bears repeating: we’re very excited about the keynote session featuring Dr. Kathleen Gallagher. On Thursday morning, she’ll be presenting the Big Ideas Keynote Session: Storybooks for Revolution: Using Children’s Literature to Lead Children’s Understanding of Social Justice.
With two days of learning, there’s an incredible variety of topics for you. And you don’t even need to shuttle from one side of the convention center to the other to attend all of these great sessions! ALSC has broken it down by day. Here’s a look at the topics:
Thursday, September 15, 2016
- Family Portraits: Picture Books That Feature All Kinds of Families
- STEM-Rich and Library Broke: Crash Course in Funding Innovative STEM Children’s Programs
- Stories Speak Louder than Numbers: Making the Case for Youth Services
- Putting SPELL (Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries) into Action: Partnerships and Best Practices Nurture Young
Friday, September 16, 2016
- Media Mentorship in Libraries Serving Youth (Up to age fourteen)
- Opening Access to Public Libraries for Children with Disabilities
- Welcome to Reading: Amp Up Your Services for Beginning Readers
- Oh Baby! Unconventional Programming for your Youngest Patrons
- Serving ALL Families in Your Library: Inclusive Library Collections and Programs for LGBTQ Families & Children
The learning doesn’t end on Friday! All registered users retain access to the Virtual Institute programs for up to a year after the event. So you can keep going back to the things you’ve learned. It’s vital to keep up with development in the field and this is one way that you won’t forget!