The Professional Recognition and Scholarships Committee is seeking nominations and applications from ALSC members for the Distinguished Service Award and Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Award.
ALSC Distinguished Service Award:
The ALSC Distinguished Service Award honors individuals who have “made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library services to children and to the Association for Library Service to Children,” whether that be through an impactful special project or a career of demonstrated commitment to children and ALSC.
To be considered nominees must be:
- A personal member of ALSC and ALA
- a practicing librarian in a public or school library, a library or information science educator, a member of the library press, an editor or other employee of a publishing house, or retired from one of these areas.
Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Award
The Penguin Random House Young Reader’s Group Award is made possible by an annual gift from Penguin Young Readers Group and Random House Children’s Books. It provides a $600 stipend for up to four children’s librarians to attend their first ALA Annual Conference.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Be personal members of ALSC and ALA
- Work directly with children in elementary, middle school, or public libraries
- Have between 1 and 10 years of experience as a children’s librarian by the opening of the Annual Conference
- Have never attended a previous in-person ALA Annual Conference
Online applications, along with the required Supervisor’s Supporting Statement form, are due by December 31, 2023. Visit Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Award page to learn more.
If you have questions about either award, please contact the co-chairs of the Professional Recognition and Scholarships Committee, Elizabeth Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Mary Schreiber (email@example.com).
Rebecca Price-Donahue is a Children’s Librarian Supervisor for the Middleburg Heights Branch of Cuyahoga County Public Library in Ohio. She is writing this post on behalf of the Professional Recognition and Scholarships Committee.