Greetings colleagues: the ALSC Professional Recognition and Scholarship Committee would like to make you aware of two exciting upcoming grant opportunities. Please consider applying or nominating!
Distinguished Service Award
This award honors an individual member of ALSC who has made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library service to children and/or ALSC. The recipient receives $2,000 and an engraved pin at the ALSC Membership Meeting during ALA Annual Conference.
The nomination form can be found here. Nominations and supporting materials are due December 9, 2022. *Please note that distinguished service is not necessarily for lifetime achievement. A single outstanding program, project or idea can also merit consideration!
Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Award
This award, made possible by an annual gift from Penguin Young Readers Group and Random House Children’s Books, provides a $600 stipend to up to four children’s librarians to attend their first ALA Annual Conference.
- Each applicant will be judged on the following:
- Involvement in ALSC, as well as any other professional or educational association of which the applicant was a member, chair, etc.
- New programs or innovations started by the applicants at the library in which they work
- Library experience
- Applicants must:
- Be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA; organizational members are not eligible
- Work directly with children in elementary, middle schools or public libraries
- Have less than ten years, but more than one year, of experience as a children’s librarian by the opening of the Annual Conference
- No previous attendance at an in-person ALA Annual Conference
More information and the application form can be found here. Application deadline is December 31, 2022.
If you have further questions about either opportunity, please contact the co-chairs of the Professional Recognition and Scholarships Committee Rachel Fryd (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Elizabeth Burns (email@example.com)