When I was growing up, I remember that our local dime store (yes, that was a thing) had a little dish of pennies next to the (manual) cash register. The sign above the dish said, “Take a Penny! Leave a Penny!” As a child, I was fascinated by that little dish and its sign. My dad had to explain the concept of making change and how just one penny might make a difference, might make it easier for the cashier to make change.
Given that we all might enjoy some uplifting content, I decided to tweak that old-fashioned sign for one of my own: “Take a Smile! Leave a Smile!” Sharing stories that bring smiles to each other is priceless. In that spirit, enjoy these stories…and then please leave one of your own!
Smiles to Take…
- A former colleague, Amy R., once overheard a child in the play area shout, “Everybody get on your unicorns!”
- A little one asked me if I lived at the library. He told me that if I had a toaster and grapes, I’d be fine.
- After storytime, a preschooler went out to the play area, sat her caregiver down, and proceeded to do storytime for her, complete with my opening clap.
- One of the paper pumpkins submitted for our pumpkin contest read “I love you and the library and I love to read!”
- A new family visited the library, got library cards, and, as they were leaving, the little one asked, “Can we come back tomorrow?”
- On Twitter, E.C. shared this story with me: “I played “Mr. Golden Sun” for a preschool storytime on a rainy morning. After it ended, I was putting my props away when a child from the class knocked on my door. “Miss Erin!” he beamed. “The sun came out!” We both ran outside and, lo and behold, it had! We made magic that day.”
Smiles to Leave…
I know you’ve got your own heartwarming, smile-inducing stories. Please share them in the comments below!