The ALSC Notable Children’s Recordings Committee spends each year listening to hundreds of audiobooks and children’s music CDs to create a list of the best recordings for children ages 0-14.
The nine committee members look for recordings that:
- Respect young people’s intelligence and imagination
- Exhibit venturesome creativity
- Reflect and encourage the natural interest of children in exemplary ways
- Depict excellence through the effective use of voices, music, sound effects, and language
- Remain true to, expand, or complement the original work
- Maintain high standards in aesthetic and technical aspects
The 2020 Notable Children’s Recordings Committee will meet at ALA Annual on Saturday, June 22 from 1-5:30 pm and on Sunday, June 23 from 1-4 pm in the Dahlia Boardroom of the Marriott Marquis in Washington, D.C. All meetings are open to all registered conference attendees. Please consider stopping by to learn more about audiobook and children’s music evaluation and to listen to discussion about some of 2019’s best recordings.
The following audiobooks will be discussed:
- The 104-Story Treehouse. By Andy Griffiths. Brilliance. CD. $24.99.
- Bad Dad. By David Walliams. HarperAudio. DL. $20.99.
- The Bridge Home. By Padma Venkatraman. Listening Library. CD. $38.
- The Case for Loving: The Fight for Interracial Marriage. By Selina Alko. Weston Woods. CD + Book. $29.95.
- The Cold is in Her Bones. By Peternelle van Arsdale. Simon & Schuster. DL. $17.99.
- The Friendship War. By Andrew Clements. Listening Library. CD. $38.
- Jake the Fake Goes for Laughs. By Adam Mansbach and Craig Robinson. Listening Library. DL. $28.
- Let the Children March. By Monica Clark-Robinson. Dreamscape. DL. $9.99.
- Malala: Activist for Girls’ Education. By Raphaële Frier. Dreamscape. DL. $9.99.
- Mangoes, Mischief, and Tales of Friendship. By Chitra Soundar. Dreamscape. DL. $24.99.
- Max & the Midknights. By Lincoln Peirce. Listening Library. CD. $38.
- Mighty, Mighty Construction Site. By Sherri Duskey Rinker. Weston Woods. CD + Book. $29.95.
- My Father’s Dragon. By Ruth Stiles Gannett. Dreamscape. DL. $6.99.
- New Kid. By Jerry Craft. HarperAudio. DL. $13.99.
- On the Come Up. By Angie Thomas. HarperAudio. DL. $26.99.
- Ordinary People Change the World. By Brad Meltzer. Listening Library. CD. $45.
- Pay Attention, Carter Jones. By Gary D. Schmidt. Recorded Books. DL. $47.
- Roller Girl. By Victoria Jamieson. Listening Library. CD. $25.
- The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet!. By Carmen Agra Deedy. Weston Woods. CD + Book. $29.95.
- Sasquatch and the Muckleshoot. By Joseph Bruchac and Adam Gidwitz. Listening Library. CD. $24.
- Star Wars: Pirate’s Price. By Lou Anders. Listening Library. DL. $50.
- Sweeping Up the Heart. By Kevin Henkes. HarperAudio. DL. $15.99.
- To Night Owl From Dogfish. By Meg Wolitzer and Holly Goldberg Sloan. Listening Library. CD. $35.
- The Unteachables. By Gordon Korman. HarperAudio. DL. $20.99.
- The Way You Make Me Feel. By Maurene Goo. Tantor Audio. DL. $19.99.
- The Wizards of Once: Twice Magic. By Cressida Cowell. Hachette. CD. $30.
The following children’s music CDs will be discussed:
- Buenos Diaz. By Lucky Diaz. Rainy Day Dimes, LLC. $13.99.
- Inside I Shine. By Danny Weinkauf. Red Pants Music. $15.
- Office Hours. By Jack Forman. Monkey House Music. $15.99.
- Swamp Romp. By Johnette Downing. Wiggle Worm. $10.
Have you listened to a great children’s recording that was published after Nov. 1, 2018 and doesn’t appear on the above list? Send your children’s audiobook and music CD nominations to committee chair Annamarie Carlson at email@example.com.
This post addresses the following ALSC Core Competencies: Knowledge, Curation, and Management of Materials.