Each year the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) identifies the best of the best in children’s books, recordings, and videos. The Notable Children’s Recording committee has been busy listening to hundreds of recordings for young people and have compiled a large list of nominated titles which will be discussed at the ALA Midwinter meetings in Seattle later this month.
The Notable Children’s Recording meetings are open to ALSC members and other ALA Midwinter attendees. All meetings will be held at the Hyatt Regency Seattle, 302 Beckler. Chairperson Michelle Ng and her entire committee welcome your attendance.
Here is the meeting schedule:
- Friday, January 25, 2019 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Sunday, January 27, 2019 from 11:30 to 9:30 pm
Here is the complete Notable Children’s Recordings 2019 Midwinter Discussion List:
- After Zero. By Christina Collins. Dreamscape, DL. $24.99.
- Before She Was Harriet. By Lesa Cline-Ransome. Live Oak Media, CD & Book. $30.95.
- A Blade So Black. By L.L. McKinney. Macmillan, DL. $50.99.
- Bob. By Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead. Listening Library, CD. $30.
- Charlie Hernandez and the League of Shadows. By Ryan Calejo. Listening Library, CD. $50.00.
- Children of Blood and Bone. By Tomi Adeyemi. Macmillan, DL. $44.99.
- The Christmasaurus. By Tom Fletcher and Shane Devries. Listening Library, CD. $45.
- Click, Clack, Quack to School. By Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin. Dreamscape, CD. $14.99.
- Dreamers. By Yuyi Morales. Dreamscape, CD. $14.99.
- Du Iz Tak?. By Carson Ellis. Weston Woods, CD & Book. $12.95.
- Endling #1: The Last. By Katherine Applegate. Harper, DL. $23.99.
- Esquivel! Space-Age Sound Artist. By Susan Wood and Duncan Tonatiuh. Live Oak Media, CD & Book. $30.95.
- For Everyone. By Jason Reynolds. Simon and Schuster, DL. $9.99.
- Grand Canyon. By Jason Chin. Dreamscape, DL. $19.99
- Grandma’s Tiny House: A Counting Story! By JaNay Brown-Wood. Live Oak Media, CD $29.95.
- Grenade. By Alan Gratz. Scholastic, DL. $25.24.
- The Griffin’s Feather. By Cornelia Funke. Atmende Bucher, DL. $30.
- Grow Up, David! By David Shannon. Scholastic, DL. $20.99.
- If You Come Softly. By Jacqueline Woodson Listening Library, CD. $45.
- The Journey of Little Charlie. By Christopher Paul Curtis. Listening Library, CD. $45.
- The Land of Yesterday. By K.A. Reynolds. Harper, DL. $20.99.
- Like Vanessa. By Tami Charles and Vanessa Brantley-Newton. Recorded Books, DL. $60.
- Lu. By Jason Reynolds. Simon & Schuster, DL. $14.99.
- Marcus Vega Doesn’t Speak Spanish. By Pablo Cartaya. Listening Library, CD. $38.
- Martin Rising: Requiem for a King. By Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkney. Scholastic, DL. $20.99.
- Monstrous Devices. By Damien Love. Listening Library, CD. $60.
- My Daddy, Martin Luther King Jr. By Martin Luther King III and AG Ford. Harper, DL. $1.99.
- Nanette’s Baguette. By Mo Willems. Weston Woods, CD. $12.99.
- Nate Expectations. By Tim Federle. Simon & Schuster, DL. $17.99.
- Nevertheless, We Persisted. By Senator Amy Klobuchar, essays by Alia Shawkat, Wade Davis, and others. Listening Library, CD. $50.
- The Night Diary. By Veera Hiranandani. Listening Library, CD. $45.
- On Bird Hill. By Jane Yolen. Live Oak Media, CD. $19.95.
- Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poems. By Kwame Alexander, Chris Colderley, Marjory Wentworth. Dreamscape, CD. $14.99.
- The Perfect Secret. By Rob Buyea. Listening Library, CD. $55.
- Poet X. By Elizabeth Acevedo. Harper, DL. $15.99.
- Quidditch Through the Ages. By J.K Rowling. Bloomsbury, CD. $15.97.
- Rebound. By Kwame Alexander. Recorded Books, DL. $28.
- Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters. By Andrea Beaty and David Roberts. Dreamscape, DL $64.99.
- Royal Rabbits of London. By Santa Montefiore and Simon Sebag Montefiore. Recorded Books, DL. $28
- Samantha Spinner and the Super-Secret Plans. By Russell Ginns. Listening Library, CD. $38.
- Saving Fiona: The Story of the World’s Most Famous Baby Hippo. By Thane Maynard. Dreamscape, DL. $19.99.
- Spin: The Rumpelstiltskin Musical. By Neil Fishman and Harvey Edelman. HarperAudio, DL. $15.99.
- The Stone Girl’s Story. By Sarah Beth Durst. Recorded Books, DL. $98.
- Storm-Wake. By Lucy Christopher. Recorded Books, DL. $70.
- Sunny. By Jason Reynolds. Simon & Schuster, DL. $14.99.
- Tale of Angelino Brown. By David Almond. Brilliance, CD. $19.99.
- They All Saw a Cat. By Brendan Wenzel. Weston Woods, CD. $12.95.
- Tight. By Torrey Maldonado. Listening Library, CD. $38.
- Toaff’s Way. By Cynthia Voigt. Listening Library, CD. $45.
- The Turnkey of Highgate Cemetery. By Allison Rushby. Brilliance, CD. $20.99.
- Water Princess. By Susan Verde and Georgie Badiel. Weston Woods, CD. $12.95.
- We Found a Hat. By Jon Klassen. Weston Woods, CD & Book. $29.95.
- We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices. Edited by Wade Hudson and Cheryl Willis Hudson. Listening Library, $24.
- West. By Edith Pattou. Listening Library, CD. $65.
- Whichwood. By Tahereh Mafi. Listening Library, CD $45.
- Who Were the Tuskegee Airmen. By Sherri L. Smith. Listening Library, DL. $22.
- Wildfires. By Kathy Furgang. Live Oak Media, CD and Book. $19.95.
- The Wild Robot Escapes. By Peter Brown. Hachette/Blackstone, CD. $49.99.
- Words on the Bathroom Walls. By Julia Walton. Listening Library, DL. $44.
Back to the Land. Hot Peas ‘N Butter, CD. $12.97.
Beanstalk Jack. Paper Canoe Co, CD. $10.
Blue Skies and Sunny Days. Frances England Music, CD. $10.99.
Building Blocks. Magenta Marketing, CD. $12.
Falu’s Bazaar. Falu Music Publishing, DL. $9.99.
Highway to Spell. Hidden Pony, DL. $9.99.
I am 4,5,6. In and Out of the Clouds, DL. $9.99.
If You Want to Be a Pirate Songs For Young Buccaneers. Gas Station Music, CD. $15.
Journey On. The Meriwethers Experience, DL. $9.99.
Just Be. CD Baby, DL. $11.99.
Keep it Real. Caspar Babypants, DL. $12.19.
Move, Move, Move. Lighthouse Records, CD. $15.
Rivers of Love. Humming Bear, CD. $14.95.
Sleep Tight. Caspar Babypants, DL. $9.49.
What Makes Me Special. Tappan Zee Records, DL. $9.99.
This post addresses the following ALSC Core Competency: Knowledge, Curation, and Management of Materials