1. Commitment to Client Group. Because everyone deserves excellent library services.
2. Reference and User Services. Considering context and format of delivery, along with the information itself.
3. Programming Skills. Sometimes you need backup to keep it fresh.
4. Knowledge, Curation, and Management of Materials. When’s the last time you really looked at your collection?
5. Outreach and Advocacy. Saying it in a way they will hear it.
6. Administrative and Management Skills. (It can take a while to refine the art.)
7. Professionalism and Professional Development. This is just the beginning. Even when it seems like the middle.
Just remember, let the Competencies guide you. Because the library:
This post comes from the ALSC Education Committee. Images are not the property of ALSC; shared as commentary under fair use guidelines.