All year, ALSC Notable committees have worked diligently — reading, listening, and viewing — in an effort to identify the best of the best in children’s books, recordings and videos/DVDs. These committees are now issuing a final call to the ALSC membership for submissions of items for consideration for inclusion on the 2011 Notables lists.
Notable Children’s Books
As stated in the Notables Children’s Books Terms and Criteria, the evaluative criteria used includes:
- literary quality
- originality of text and illustration
- clarity and style of language
- excellence of illustration
- excellence of design and format
- subject matter of interest and value to children
- the likelihood of acceptance by children
ALSC members may send nomination suggestions of items published this year for inclusion consideration on the Notable Books list, by December 10th, to Chairperson Katie O’Dell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notable Children’s Recordings
According to the official criteria, recordings are evaluated on criteria including:
- respects young people’s intelligence and imagination
- exhibits venturesome creativity
- in exemplary ways reflects and encourages the natural interest of children and young adolescents
- depicts excellence through the effective use of voices, music, sound effects, and language
- maintains high standards in aesthetic and technical aspects
- adapted materials remain true to, expand, or complement the original work
ALSC members may send nomination suggestions of items released this year for inclusion consideration on the Notable Children’s Recordings list, by December 15th, to Chairperson Karen Perry at email@example.com.
Notable Children’s Videos
Official criteria used in evaluation of videos and DVDs includes:
- Utilization of media
- Organization and appropriate treatment of material
- Subject matter of interest and value to children
ALSC members may send nomination suggestions of DVDs/videos released this year for inclusion on the Notable Children’s Videos list, by December 15th, to Chairperson Angelique Kopa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— posted by Mary R. Voors