As previously stated in the ALSConnect newsletter and on the ALSC-L electronic discussion list and the ALSC blog, there will be an opportunity for our membership-at-large to discuss the ALSC Scope of Attention Motion. It will begin today on ALAConnect (http://connect.ala.org/node/114682) at 12:00 p.m. EST and continue for one month. The ALSC Board of Directors have agreed to bring this motion to the membership-at-large, who will vote on it in Spring 2011. If approved, this motion would replace the phrase “through the eighth grade of junior high school age” with “through and including age 13” in the following ALSC Bylaw phrase:
“It [ALSC] is responsible for the evaluation and selection of book and non-book library materials and for the improvement of techniques of library service to children from preschool through the eighth grade of junior high school age, when such materials and techniques are intended for use in more than one type of library.”
This motion requires a majority of the membership for approval. The ALSC Board welcomes this discussion of the issues raised by this possible revision. Some of you are passionate about your views on this subject, but please direct your passion at the issues and not at your colleagues. Please help maintain a safe and respectful environment.
Helpful tip: Follow the discussion via email notifications. The following are the steps to enable/disable your email notifications:
- Login to http://connect.ala.org using your ALA member ID and password.
- Click on and enter into any one of your groups or communities.
- In the right-hand frame, you should see a link for “My Subscriptions.” Click the link.
- You will see a listing of all your member groups and communities.
- To enable email notification, make sure the box is checked for a particular group. To disable, uncheck the box.
- If you go on vacation, you can temporarily disable all email notifications by selecting the vacation option at the bottom of the page.
- You can change the frequency of emails by clicking on “My Profile” in the left-hand frame, under your name. Click on the “Edit” tab. You will see an area for email notifications and have the option of selecting immediately, every hour, twice daily, daily or weekly.