April 19-25, 2009 is designated as the Week of the Young Child (WOYC) – so get ready now! The Liaisons with National Organizations Serving Children and Youth Committee (LNOSCY) encourages you to contact child care centers in your area to invite them to display children’s art work in your library throughout April. Bulletin boards, blank walls, even shelf ends can provide attractive display space.
This project can provide terrific photo opportunities for families and the media.
- Begin with a simple phone call and follow-up with a letter
- Ask for child-created work only (no color-sheets or crafts from patterns – maybe children’s impressions after hearing a favorite story)
- Prepare a letter to send home with children inviting parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles to the library through the month of April
- If art work has no ‘frame’, back each piece with colored construction paper
- Identify the child care facility providing the display
- Take pictures of families visiting to view the display and submit a favorite photo to Linda Mays at firstname.lastname@example.org for ALSC web page posting
In addition to highlighting the importance of early education, this activity provides a terrific opportunity to attract caregivers and families of young children into your library. Week of the Young Child is a project of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (http://www.naeyc.org/).
Johnson County Library
PO Box 2933
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201-1333