Program in a Post: Torn Paper Landscapes

Photo courtesy of the author.

Photo courtesy of the author.

With this blog post and less than $15 (or $0 if you have the supplies on hand) you can present a fun, easy & creative art program for families and children of all ages.

Supplies:

• glue sticks ($)
  • cardboard/cardstock cut into a variety of sizes. We used old magazine covers, pieces of cardboard boxes and old file folders.
  • construction paper ($)
  • photos from magazines or calendars (optional)
Photo courtesy of the author.

Photo courtesy of the author.

Format: One hour long open house.

Room setup:

• Tables & chairs for attendees.
  • Projector to run a PowerPoint presentation of landscape photographs or print outs of landscape photographs taped up near the supply table.
  • Supply table at the front of the room with cardboard/cardstock, construction paper & magazine/calendar pictures (optional). Label the supplies (collage bases, colored paper, pictures)
  • Glue sticks on each table.
  • Display sign with simple instructions and a definition of landscape and collage.
  • Music.
  • On display: Non-fiction books about collage, picture books with collage illustrations and CDs (by the band/artist you are playing during the program).

When I ran this program a few weeks ago I greeted customers at the door and provided them with a simple explanation of what was happening. “We’re making torn paper landscapes today. Stop & pick up supplies. You’ll need a collage base and some colored paper and/or pictures to tear up. Glue is on the tables and there is a slideshow of landscapes running.” If I was occupied elsewhere, the sign near the supply table provided them with enough information to get started.

The youngest child in attendance was 6 months old and the eldest was 12. Some families stayed for 10 minutes, others for 40.

If you are interested, I would be happy to share the landscape PowerPoint/photos, just comment here.

This entry was posted in Blogger Heather Acerro, Programming Ideas. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Program in a Post: Torn Paper Landscapes

1. Terri Savago says:

I would love your PowerPoint. I am looking for a family program and this seems perfect1 thank you for posting.

2. Coli Creach says:

I am looking into doing more programs at my library with families and would love to see your powerpoint and pictures. Thanks for the post.

3. Heather says:

The PowerPoint should be in your inboxes. Have fun!

4. Mim Gottschalk says:

Great program! I’d love to have the PowerPoint, please. Thanks!

5. Janet Thompson says:

Wonderful idea Heather. I especially like that there was music going along with directions and materials so patrons could come, create, and enjoy themselves without requiring a lot of instruction from you. The art was probably all the better for that. I’d love to see more examples, and of course your powerpoint.

6. Ann Daniels says:

Sounds great. I’d love to see the PowerPoint.

7. Sam Bloom says:

I know I’m awfully late to this conversation, but I would be interested in the PPT as well – thank you! And thanks for this great idea!

8. Heather Acerro says:

It is in your inbox :)

9. Pat Connor says:

Late to the party, but I would love to have the PowerPoint. What a great idea.

10. Jan Connell says:

I’m just now seeing this blog posting. Is it too late to receive your PowerPoint? We’re doing an Inclusive Program based on the book, Beautiful oops! by Barney Saltzberg and your ideas are great!