New month, new displays in the Children’s Room! My librarian A put up an awesome bulletin board after Summer Reading Club wound down and I just changed out our book displays, so I wanted to show y’all what we’ve done.
First, the bulletin board:
A does amazing bulletin board for us, getting lots of inspiration from Pinterest and from the programs and activities we have going on in the Children’s Room. With the election coming up, she wanted to feature related books in our collection. The release of Bad Kitty for President by Nick Bruel (Roaring Brook Press, 2012) was a great excuse to feature Bad Kitty, already a popular character with our kids. We’ve been stocking up on election books because it’s sure to be a popular topic as we get closer to November’s Presidential election. Consider featuring some of the following:
- The Election Book: The People Pick a President (Revised Edition) by Carolyn Jackson (Scholastic, 2012)
- The Election Day Disaster by Ron Roy (Random House, 2008)
- Nikki & Deja: Election Madness by Karen English (Clarion Books, 2011)
- President of the Whole Fifth Grade by Sherri Winston (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2010)
- See How They Run: Campaign Dreams, Election Schemes, and the Race to the White House (Revised Edition)by Susan E. Goodman (Bloomsbury, 2012)
- Today on Election Day by Catherine Stier (Albert Whitman & Co., 2012)
- Vote for Me! by Ben Clanton (Kids Can Press, 2012)
In addition to our new bulletin board, I changed our book displays out last week.
I put up Guys Read, one of my favorite displays because I think it can be tricky for boys (and parents) to find books that interest them (especially if they don’t think they like to read). Of course, there’s nothing saying that girls can’t be interested in these books, too, but I hope a bold GUYS READ sign will attract boys to browse there:
Some of my favorite books to include in a Guys Read display include:
- Face to Face with Sharks by David Doubilet and Jennifer Hayes (National Geographic Children’s Books, 2009)
- Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker (Chronicle Books, 2011)
- Guy Write: What Every Guy Writer Needs to Know by Ralph Fletcher (Henry Holt, 2012)
- Hi, Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold (Scholastic, 2005)
- How to Grow Up and Rule the World by Vordak the Incomprehensible (written by Scott Seegert, Egmont USA, 2011)
- The Time Warp Trio series by Jon Scieszka
- The Truth About Poop by Susan E. Goodman (Penguin, 2004)
And I happen to have three staff members (in a team of six!) who have birthdays in September (and the son of one of my librarians in late August), so I had to do a birthday display!
Consider displaying some of the following:
- 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass (Scholastic, 2009)
- The Birthday Box by Leslie Patricelli (Candlewick, 2007)
- Epossumondas Saves the Day by Colleen Salley (Harcourt, 2006)
- Happy Birthday, Hamster by Cynthia Lord (Scholastic, 2011)
- I am Invited to a Party by Mo Willems (Hyperion, 2007)
- Moira’s Birthday by Robert Munsch (Annick Press, 1989)
- Whopper Cake by Karma Wilson (Margaret K. McElderry, 2007)
Those are our September book displays in the Children’s Room! What book displays do you have up right now? Any unique display themes to share?
– Abby Johnson, Children’s Manager
New Albany-Floyd County Public Library
New Albany, IN