This is my first time attending the #ALSC12 Institute and I am really enjoying it and learning a lot. For those who might wonder whether or not they should attend in the future, I thought I’d put together a list of 5 reasons to do so!
1. Quality, specialized program content–because it’s ALSC, every program has been something I could apply to my job as a Children’s Librarian or pass along to another person at my library. The lovely people at this conference are thinking about and serving children every day just like I am!
2. Endless inspiration from your cohorts–as a programming librarian, the sparks of ideas that are shared at conferences like this are priceless. I now have a whole list of little notes with program ideas, people to look for, and resources to read later, all gleaned from listening to fellow conference attendees in sessions and in conversations in the halls!
3. Professional connections–the intimate setting of a conference this size and the structure of meals and events means there are tons of opportunities to chat and get to know the amazing people in this profession!
4. Authors and illustrators–everyone knows author/illustrator talks are a conference highlight but it’s not just for fun! Seeing the real people behind the content we love and work to put in kids’ hands, just inspires us to return to our libraries with renewed passion for literacy!
5. ARCs, Raffles, Connection events and good food–of course not the most important part but you can be sure that ALSC will put together some fun and games and that they will pick a great city and hotel that make attending the conference even better!
Kalamazoo Public Library