Effective library service for children entails a broad range of experience and professional skills. The Competencies seek to define the role of the librarian serving children. Use the Competencies to develop job descriptions for your open positions or as a training resource with your youth services staff.
- Knowledge of Client Group
- Administrative and Management Skills
- Communication Skills
- Knowledge of Materials
- User and Reference Services
- Programming Skills
- Advocacy, Public Relations, and Networking Skills
- Professionalism and Professional Development
The Core Competencies document was created by the ALSC Education Committee, 1999. It was revised by the ALSC Education Committee, 2009, and approved by the ALSC Board of Directors at the 2009 American Library Association Annual Conference.